January 11, 2006

it feels real.


Four months ago (to the day actually) I got the news that my dad died. My mom called as I walked out of work. I never got a call or any information from anyone else. Although, I knew it was real, tonight I finally found an obituary online. I was cleaning out a box the other night and found a letter from him, talking about his travels flying his Lear... and I decided to follow-up a little more. I asked my mom for more information tonight which helped to narrow the search. And a couple minutes ago, I found this. Seeing the news in writing makes it so much more real for some reason, like the scab was reopened. I'm not listed as a survivor, maybe not of his memory, I don't remember all that much.

Ricks, Robert Richard, 63, formerly of Fort Lauderdale, passed away peacefully Thursday, September 8, 2005, at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne. Born in Francesville, IN, he was retired as a highly regarded corporate Learjet pilot. He was formerly the Director of Aviation at Vincennes University in Vincennes, IN. Survivors include his companion of 30 years, Diane Barthel of Mims; one daughter and her husband, Marcie and Christopher Spurgeon of Vincennes; grandchildren, Luke and Emma Spurgeon of Vincennes; stepmother, Bonnie Ricks of Francesville; one sister and her husband, Judy Fairchild-Roberts and Stan of Holland, IN; three brothers, Mike Ricks of Francesville; Mark Kuntz of Fort Lauderdale and Marty Kuntz of Waterveliet, MI; and one sister, Lana Kuntz of Berrien Springs, MI. He was preceded in death by his parents and one sister. No service will be held. NORTH BREVARD FUNERAL HOME in Titusville handled the arrangements.
Published in the Sun-Sentinel on 9/13/2005.

No comments: